Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Summer, Nonstop.

It's only Tuesday. We've got a lot of week left, but I thought I'd get in a quick update before bed.

Monday morning Tillman and I attended our first Moms & Tots class at the YMCA. It's a 45 min. class designed for children ages 1-5 to sing, dance, exercise, and do fun obstacle activities. My goal is for us to attend this class as many Mondays as we can throughout the summer. Josh worked out in the gym facility part of the Y while Tillman and I attended our class. To my surprise, my friend Amanda showed up for the class with her kids too. It was nice having a familiar face there with me since it was our first week. Tillman did pretty well for her first visit, but there is definitely room for improvement. She didn't quite understand some of the concepts, and it didn't help that she got clotheslined by the oldest boy in the class during one of the obstacle courses. But have no fear, we will be going back!

Playing with the aerobic ball during the warm-up.

She started to think this ball was hers for keeps.
I didn't take any other pictures because from this point forward it was nonstop action. I will try to take some more pictures of our future classes.

Playing in the yard Monday afternoon.

She really loves this thing.

Bubbles: Dip/Dunk

Inhale.

Exhale.

All day today (Tuesday) and all day tomorrow, (Wednesday) Josh and I participated in a local mission outreach with the church we have been attending, BCBC. The title of the outreach is Embracing Easley. There are several projects going on this week in the Easley area that members of the church are volunteering to go be active members in. The project Josh and I are involved in was headed up by our Sunday School teachers, Scott and Amanda. We are working to help a family in need complete a project from moving out of one house and into a nicer, more newly renovated house on the same plot of land. The family has 3 children, two of which are terminally ill due to a rare genetic disorder. The family actually qualified to be on Extreme Home Makeover, but then the show was cancelled and their plans fell through. So, we stepped in to help with as much as we could during this given time frame. I'm sure our class will still chip in and help out as we can, even when the week of Embracing Easley comes to an end. I took a picture of the shirts all the participants are wearing. I would love to share more with you about the family and take pictures on site, but to protect the privacy of the family members, you get to see my shirt instead.
Front

Back

This outreach has been a very humbling reminder of all that we have to be thankful for on a daily basis, and all that we are able to contribute in our own local communities. We just have to be willing to look for the opportunities and act on them.





I hope to do at least one more post before leaving for the beach early Saturday morning. I know once we leave I will not be making this a priority until we get back and get settled. There is still a lot on our agenda between now and then, too, so I really hope to get to it. It will bug me if I don't. Things to look forward to between now and then:
Embracing Easley outreach - Wed.
Blueberry/blackberry/strawberry picking - Thurs. morning
Lake w/ friends - Thurs. evening
Greenville Zoo - Fri. morning
Dinner at a friend's house - Fri. evening
Leave for the Outerbanks for a week!! - Sat. morning

And in between all that I still have to make a dessert for Friday's dinner and two desserts for beach week, as well as finish packing and organizing all 3 of us for the entire week, get the car packed, and possibly clean the house.
I LOVE this perk of my job!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment