Tuesday, June 18, 2013

"What Rock?"

So today was dubbed, "My name is April, not Mommy Day." I was craving a day away to do something by myself (no kids) for myself that didn't scream "mommy." My friend Kasi is pretty adventurous and out-doorsy, so I put her in charge of planning a hiking day trip for the two of us. Josh was super nice enough to watch both girls today by himself. (for 7 hours!)

Kasi and I ended up hiking Table Rock. We left my house around 9:00 and started hiking a little after 10:00. I had to pump in the car before we got started on the hike. That killed some of our time. As we checked in with the rangers to begin our hike, they looked at us a little funny and with some question in their faces. You see, it was calling for rain today, it was actually raining as we got there, it was raining as we were checking in, and... I had no rain gear whatsoever. None. I had a lunch and water, but that's it. I knew it was calling for rain, yet never thought to pack a jacket. Luckily Kasi had an extra hat I was able to wear, but still, no jacket.

So we started our trek up the mountain in the rain. I was feeling good and excited to be out doing something different from what I do all day everyday. The rain eased up, and eventually stopped. So I didn't look too silly not having any gear. Turns out I didn't really need it anyway. Kasi and I talked nonstop up and down the mountain. We talked about anything and everything. We even ran into a little turtle friend along the way.

Ok, fast forward to the top of the mountain/lunch. When we reached what we thought was the top of Table Rock Mountain we stopped and had lunch. It was nice to rest, we were starving, so we ate. As we were leaving the rock (not Governor's rock by the way, much further up) a nice older gentlemen (the first person we'd seen the entire time. I mean who hikes in the rain anyways?) made a comment that caught us off guard. He asked, "So are you going to make it up to the rock?" and Kasi's response, which I'm still laughing about now was, "What rock??" (Hence the title of this post.) Hello!!! We were hiking Table ROCK. I died laughing. We had just eaten lunch on what we thought was Table Rock. Turns out it was just some other big rock. So we kept on going and quickly made our way to our original final destination. It was worth the extra few steps for the view.

After taking it all in we made our way back down the mountain. We were both complaining about our knees and somehow ended up on the topic of ice cream, Brooster's ice cream to be exact. So what did we do when we got back in the car? Yes, we drove straight to Brooster's and got some ice cream!

So 7 hours after leaving the house at 9:00am, hiking Table Rock, and getting Brooster's ice cream, I arrived back home. I quickly went back from the role of April to the role of Mommy as I had to pump immediately and had Tillman with me the entire time I took a shower. It was nice though. I had a great day and Josh did an absolutely perfect job with the girls. They were both happy and healthy when I got home. :) This just means I should do days like this more often now that Josh has proved himself capable of being Mr. Mom for the day.

So for the first time since this blog was created 2 & 1/2 years ago, here is a post with absolutely no pictures of my kids in it:

Kasi and me getting started on the hike...in the rain. 
Notice who remembered to pack a raincoat.

a little scenery 

our turtle friend

He was a cutie.

A great view from Governor's Rock - no rain!

We made it!

Where we ate lunch - in a cloud - thought we were finished

happy to eat!

The view from Table Rock. This is what we were after the whole time. 

Happy Hiking!

No comments:

Post a Comment