Saturday, November 26, 2011

Rivalry Weekend: A House Divided

                    Grandpa's little Hokie

          Well this is a huge weekend in college football. It's rivalry weekend. I've been excitedly and anxiously awaiting this day for a few weeks now. Clemson is guaranteed a spot at the ACC Championship game next weekend in Charlotte. We're going to the game. However, ... we didn't know who our opponent would be until about 7:15 this evening. We will be playing Virginia Tech. Again. It'll be a family reunion/rivalry part II of this football season. And. I. Can't. Wait. Clemson has already beaten Virginia Tech once this season, at Lane Stadium nontheless. It felt great. Now, if we can just put it off again.

          Virginia Tech is on a high because they just annihilated their long time rival and archenemies, UVA. Clemson is currently playing their rival, South Carolina, and they are struggling to perform. I'm hopeful for a good game, but skeptical of the outcome. Clemson is also coming off a loss against NC State; a game Clemson should have won. I guess what I'm trying to say is... I'm uber excited about the match-up against VATech again, but I'm leary of Clemson's performance and stamina.


          To start this day, Tillman and I were decked out in our Hokie gear in support of my dad.  However, as soon as the game ended, I rushed to the closet and changed into my Clemson attire for the remainder of the evening.

the infamous orange bag - I can't wait to see some purple on this bag!

The "orange Christmas bag" story has become a Franks tradition. One year, 2006 maybe, VATech won the ACC Championship game. I thought it would be a cute idea to decorate an orange bag and use the ACC Champions theme for Dad's Christmas gift that year. It was a huge hit, and Dad kept the bag displayed throughout the year. Well, what do you know, but Tech goes and wins the ACC Championship again the next year. Well you know what this means, I made Dad another orange VATech themed Christmas bag that year. Since then I think Tech has won another two titles, of which Dad always gets a bag. Last year's bag was especially special (I think) because I put a picture of Tillman on it and she was decked out in some Hokie gear. Notice how I keep saying how I made a bag and gave it to Dad; this means Clemson has yet to win an ACC Championship since this tradition was started. So, the joke every year is, "Who is going to get the orange Christmas bag?"

Can you find the bag?


It is quite apparent that someone in our family will be getting an orange Christmas bag this year since Clemson will be playing Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship game next weekend in Charlotte. (And we're all going!!!) The question is: Who?  So if you come across any bantering or friendly trash-talking between any members of our family, now you know the whole story behind it. It's all about that orange bag.

So the countdown now officially begins until Saturday, December 3rd @ 8:00pm.   Bring. It. On. 
GO TIGERS!!!  :) :) :)

 Hey, Dad, remember this??      :)



No comments:

Post a Comment